National Open University Courses for Master’s Programme; School of Postgraduate Studies
Welcome to the School of Postgraduate Studies of the National Open University of Nigeria, (NOUN) the only Nigerian University dedicated Distance Learning in the Country. Thank you for choosing the NOUN to pursue your postgraduate studies that will have profound influence on your future.
The National Open University of Nigeria from the inception of its academic programmes in 2003, had commenced Postgraduate studies in each of its five schools particularly at the postgraduate Diploma level. Nonetheless, the Senate of the NOUN formalised the establishment of a School of Postgraduate Studies at its 46th Regular Meeting of April 6, 2009.
The Postgraduate programmes of the University are run either on Full-time (particularly for research-based Ph.D and Masters Degrees) OR flexible time bases. Our programmes are designed to expand the depth of your knowledge and to develop new skills, update your professional skills as well as add value to your organisation and business. Hence most of our programmes, particularly at the Postgraduate Diploma and Masters level, are by Coursework and Research underpinned by the principles of Open and Distance Learning.
National Open University Nigeria (NOUN) postgraduate school offers Postgraduate diploma, Master’s programme, and Ph.D. programmes. This article focuses on the National Open University Courses for Masters programme.
National Open University Nigeria (NOUN) is an open and distance learning institution owned by the federal government of Nigeria. It is the largest distance learning university in West Africa, and it is the first of this kind. Also, regarding student population, it is the largest tertiary institution in Nigeria. The university was established in 1983 but was closed very soon in 1984. It was reopened in 2001 by the former president of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo. The university has six academic departments now. These departments offer both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. National Open University Courses for Master’s Programme.
National Open University Masters programme run either on full-time bases or flexible part-time bases. These programmes are designed to update your professional skills, expand the depth of your knowledge, and also to develop the new skill. The programmes are also taught through coursework and research work supported by the principles of Open and Distance Learning. You can apply to any of the following Masters programmes below:
LIST OF MASTERS COURSES OFFERED IN NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA (NOUN)
M.A. Christian Religious Studies
M.A. Islamic Studies
M.ED. Educational Technology
M.ED. Science Education
M.ED. Administration and Planning
M.ED. Guidance and Counselling
M.Sc. Public Health
Masters in Business Administration
Masters in Public Administration
M.Sc. Business Administration
M.Sc. Public Administration
M.Sc. Information Technology
M.Sc. Mass Communication
M.Sc. Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution
M.Sc. Criminology and Security Studies
LIST OF POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA COURSES OFFERED IN NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA (NOUN)
PGD. Agricultural Extension Management
PGD. Christian Religious Studies
PGD. Business Administration
PGD. Public Administration
PGD. Information Technology
PGD. Mass Communication
PGD. Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution
PGD. Criminology and Security Studies
LIST OF PhD COURSES OFFERED IN NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA (NOUN)
PhD Christian Theology
PhD Educational Administration
PhD Educational Technology
PhD Science Education
PhD Educational Planning
PhD Mathematics Education
PhD Business Administration
PhD Public Administration
PhD Peace Studies
PhD Information Technology
Phd Mass Communication
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT NOUN POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMME
- Does NOUN accept HND for Masters?
An applicant for postgraduate (Masters) admission into NOUN is normally expected to have a minimum of a first degree (second class lower) for masters or HND for PGD in a related field.
- How many years is a Masters degree in National Open University of Nigeria?
Masters Degree which takes 12 months to 18 months to complete it and is considered to be the equivalent of the MA qualification.
- How to obtain NOUN Postgraduate Admission Form?
Step by step guide on how to apply for National Open University Nigeria
- NOUN Postgraduate School Fee?
Break down of National Open University of Nigeria postgraduate school fee for Master’s, Postgradute Diploma and PhD Courses
For you, to be admitted into any of these Masters programmes, you must meet the basic general requirements for university education admission which includes a minimum of five credit passes in your O’Level results. This includes credit pass in English Language and Mathematics. Also, you must have at least a second class lower Bachelors Degree from any recognized university in a field relevant to the programme you are applying to or a Higher National Diploma with a minimum of upper credit from a recognized polytechnic or a Postgraduate Diploma from a recognized university.
Application For Admission into Postgraduate Programmes
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for entry into the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) for studies leading to various degree awards in the following schools and programmes. The Programmes are run either on full-time [Particularly for Ph.D and Maters (with research)] or flexible time bases. Candidates should pick an option.
- School Of Arts And Social Sciences
- School Of Agricultural Sciences
- School Of Education
- School Of Law
- School Of Science And Technology
- School Of Management Sciences
- To qualify for admission into any of the postgraduate programmes of the University, a candidate must meet, among others, all matriculation requirements of at least five (5) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics. Some programmes accept at least a pass in Mathematics.
- For Postgraduate Diploma Programmes, Candidates must possess either a minimum of pass Bachelors Degree in any discipline from a University recognised by the Senate of the NOUN OR a Higher National Diploma with a minimum of Lower Credit. For the Postgraduate Diploma in Legislative Drafting, the candidate must have been called to the Bar. Also for admission into the school of Business and Human Resource Management Postgraduate Diploma programmes,
- For Master degree programmes, candidates must possess either a Bachelors Degree with a minimum of second class lower in the relevant field of study from a University recongnised by the Senate of the NOUN. However, holders of lower classificationOR a Postgraduate Diploma in related field of study from a recongnised University.
- For the Doctor of Philosophy Degree prorammes, candidates must possess a masters degree in relevant field of study from a University recongised by the Senate of the NOUN with a minimum score average of not less than 60% or a cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 4.0 on a 5-point scale. Studying with us gives a rewarding experience as we give you all the support you need to succeed. You are welcome.
- Facts About national open university of Nigeria noun
- Procedure for Change of Course Open University, NOUN
- How To Check NOUN Required Credit Unit for Graduation
- List of Programmes Offered in NOUN
- Noun Business Plan (Gst302) And How To Upload
- How to Upload Completed Final Year Project/Seminar and Practicum on (NOUN PAS)
- Noun Official Websites
- What You Should Know About National Open University Of Nigeria