WELCOME TO NOUN!
The National Open University of Nigeria is an Open and Distance Learning (ODL) institution, the first of its kind in the West African sub-region. The university has an exciting platform where learning is not only easily accessible, but also affordable. The vibrant university, at present, has 54 study centres spread across the nation. It has a student population of over 120, 000. The university is also recording landmark achievements. It was recently rated 7th position among universities in Nigeria and 86th position out of the 100 universities in Africa. NOUN was given the European Quality Award in Education 2011 at Oxford, UK, among others. Indeed, the university is well prepared for you…
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT NOUN
- NOUN aims and objectives Is to provide education for all, filling the gap created by Conventional universities through cost effectiveness and improved economic of scale. It was founded to meet the needs of older people that desire to apply for university.
- NOUN was established in the year 2002.
- NOUN is a F.G university approved and accredited by NUC.
- NOUN is not a member of ASUU and doesn’t go on strike unlike other universities.
- NOUN doesn’t required Jamb for admission. With your O’L you are eligible.
- NOUN systematic payment of school fees is so flexible that students can pay install mentally.
- NOUN is not a conventional university where students have a permanent site for receiving lectures.
- NOUN does not have a campus unlike other universities.
- NOUN accepts CREDITS PASS in mathematics and English in most of its courses
- NOUN law students have not started going for law school.7
- As a student of NOUN your 100L to your 200L is computer base, while from your 300L to your 400L is Pen on Paper (pop).
- NOUN runs two semesters in a year.
- NOUN is a school that gives students the opportunity to work while studying.
- At the moment NOUN students have not started going for NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE (NYSC).
- NOUN system is neither considered as part time or full time studies but ODL (Open Distance Learning). This means it’s flexible to all students
- As a fresher of NOUN you paying an estimate of 63000(depending on the course you are going for)
- NOUN is both for the rich and the poor.
- As a student of NOUN you can hardly bribe to have your way. You must study to pass your exams
- NOUN convocation for its graduating students is usually in the month of January every year.
- NOUN doesn’t delay certificates after students’ graduation. Certificates are issued out to students immediately after graduation.
- NOUN Students does not receive direct teaching from lecturer, Handout is mostly used by students.
- As students of NOUN you can do your Test at the comfort of your home. The Test is known as TMA (Tutorial Mark Assignment) and its carries 30marks while the Exams carries 70 marks.
- NOUN Certificates are fully recognized and acceptable to the universally.
- NOUN doesn’t accept PASS in Direct Entry, but upper.
- NOUN PGD program is two semesters, and while Masters program is four semesters
- NOUN undergraduate program is 4 years, while law is 5years.
- In NOUN there’s no room for cultism.
- NOUN doesn’t have a student union government(SUG)
- NOUN has about 54 study centres all through the federation of Nigeria.
Some of the major Schools in NOUN:
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SCHOOL OF LAW
SCHOOL OF AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
SCHOOL OF ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
NOUN is amongst the top 100 universities in Nigeria, NOUN is No. 17th.
NOUN is beautiful. NOUN is me. NOUN is you. NOUN is systematic. NOUN is dynamic.