Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships invites applications from international students who want to pursue undergraduate, postgraduate or language studies at top Chinese universities for academic year 2022-2023. These are fully funded scholarships and cover accommodation, health insurance and monthly living stipend.
Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships are granted by the provincial governments, including the governments of the four Chinese cities called “municipalities under central jurisdiction” (Beijing, Tianjin, Chongqing and Shanghai), since they function as provinces in themselves.
Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships are applicable to undergraduate, masters and doctoral studies, as well as to take Chinese language courses. However, not all universities have scholarships from their provincial government for all types of courses. You should review your case carefully.
The main feature of these scholarships is that the application is made directly and exclusively at the university of destination. To do this, you must first verify if the university you have chosen admits students who have received scholarships from the provincial government for the course of your choice.
Types of Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships:
Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships are divided into three types:
- Type A : Postgraduate studies (Master or Doctorate)
- Type B : Bachelor’s Degree
- Type C : Long-term advanced studies (for example: Chinese language courses)
Characteristics of Chinese Provincial Governments Scholarships
- Scholarship Benefits: It depends on the provincial governments which offer these scholarships. The costs of living and the enrollment rates differ quite a lot from province to province and level of education. However, in most cases, registration fees, accommodation in a university residence (sharing a room and bathroom with another person) and health insurance will be covered. If you are awarded a scholarship with full coverage, you will also receive a handsome amount of money per month for personal expenses.
- Number of scholarships awarded: Each university has a quota of grants by type of course (master’s degree, language course, etc.). If, for example, the university in which you want to take your master’s degree offers only 4 type A (postgraduate) scholarships, it will be difficult to get it, because the number of scholarships are too low. Get well informed beforehand and value your possibilities.
- Duration of the scholarships: The funding periods also vary depending on the universities and the type of course. However, in general, bachelor and doctoral studies have a maximum duration of 3 or 4 years, those of a master’s degree from 2 to 3 years and those of a language course between 1 and 2 years. Each year you will have to apply for the renewal of the scholarship, which will be granted if you prove that you are an excellent student.
NOTE : The government of Shanghai characterizes its scholarships in a special way, differentiating only two types, A and B. Type A would be those of total coverage (cover the costs of registration, housing, medical insurance and provide a monthly amount for expenses personal) and type B partial coverage (only covers tuition and health insurance). Remember that the government of Shanghai does not offer scholarships for Chinese language courses.
Eligibility Requirements for Chinese Provincial Governments Scholarships
Following are the minimum eligibility requirements to apply for Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships:
- Not have Chinese nationality.
- Not be in possession of other aid from the Chinese government.
- Candidate limit age: Differ between universities, but most age limits are between:
- 25-30 years for undergraduate studies
- 30-35 years for master studies or Chinese language course
- 40 years for doctoral studies
Consult the University of your Choice for information regarding the minimum qualification.
Documents Required for Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships
Following is a list of documents required for Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships:
- Application form duly completed: You will find it on the website of university in the scholarships section (the one of the government that corresponds to the province of your university of choice). If, for example, you are thinking of studying at a university in the city of Kunming, you will have to download the application form for the Yunnan government scholarship (province) on the website of the university in question.
- HSK diploma (Chinese Language level) if you are going to study in Chinese: It is generally required to have HSK4 for undergraduate and HSK5 for master’s or doctorate studies. Check the requirements on the university website of your choice.
- TOEFL or IELTS Diploma if you are going to study in English and you are not native of an English-speaking country: The minimum scores of both diplomas are specified by each university for each type of study.
- Official medical form or Foreigner Physical Examination Form: For students who want to study in China lasting more than six months, they must submit a medical report that certifies good physical and mental health.
- Highest Degree and transcript (academic record).
- Study Plan / Research Proposal written in English or Chinese: The required length of these documents will be specified by each university (between 400 and 800 words).
- Most universities request, in the case of masters or doctoral students, two letters of recommendation written in English or in Chinese by a professor or associate professor (from your university or from the University of Destination).
- Other documents: Sometimes they can request other complementary documents, such as sample of your previous work in case you want to study in the area of art and music.
How to Apply for Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships?
Please follow the following step by step application procedure to apply for Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships:
- Date of application: Between January to May of each year (in some cases until June).
- In the first place, the application must be completed through the online platform of the university.
- Once the online application is completed and all the required documents are attached in PDF format, you must submit all these documents (including a copy of the completed application form) directly to the chosen university within the deadline. It is preferable to deliver all the documentation in hand. If you are not in China at that time, try to have a friend or acquaintance do this process for you. If you do not know anyone, you can send the documentation by a reliable courier.
- Result date and sending of documents to process the visa: Before July 31 of each year.
List of Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships
Following is the list of Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships:
You May also like:
- IELTS Registration (How to Book a Test)
- IELTS Exam Dates FAQ
- How to Choose IELTS Test Dates
- How to Send IELTS Scores to Colleges
- CAT 2022 Examination
- Introduction to Mini GMAT
- GMAT prep tips: Integrated Reasoning section
- GMAT prep tips: Verbal section
- GMAT prep tips: Quantitative section
- GMAT prep tips: Analytical Writing Assessment
- How to select the best coaching center for GMAT
- How to send GMAT scores to B-Schools
- GMAT Score Report 2022
- GMAT Online Exam
- Best Business Schools in the World
- GMAT 2022 Exam
- GMAT 2022 Exam
- GRE Syllabus 2022
- GRE Exam 2022
- PTE Exam Registration 2022
- ACT 2022 Exam
Shanghai Government Scholarship
The study in Shanghai is a great Opportunity & SGS is offering Scholarships in China to Non-Chinese Students in Multiple Disciplines. A Wide range of fields Under Shanghai Scholarship philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, management, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, and art.
Shanghai Government is offering Two Types of Scholarships. Type A (Full Scholarship) which includes Exempt from tuition fee, Accommodation on campus; provide comprehensive medical insurance & Monthly living expense. Type B (Partial scholarship).
Beijing Government Scholarship
The aim of the Beijing Government Scholarship is to attract more foreign students to study in Beijing so as to promote the internationalization of Beijing’s higher education.
The initial fund of the scholarship is 35 million yuan (US$5 million) from the Beijing Municipal Education Commission. The scholarship is classified into three categories with the highest at 40,000 yuan (US$5,700) for each recipient.
Hubei Government Scholarship
Hubei is one of the most well-developed provinces in education and scientific reaearch. There are over 120 higher learning institutions, including two of the Top Ten Universities in China (Wuhan University and Huazhong University of Science and Technology) and 7 key universities listed in the National 211 Project. Up to the end of 2010, the population of undergraduate student in higher learning institutions of Hubei reached 1.4 million and that of the postgraduate student reached 103 thousand.
Hubei Government Scholarship can be classified into 5 types:
- Undergraduate Scholarship is 10,000 per year;
- Graduate Scholarship is 15,000 RMB per year;
- Doctorate scholarship is 20,000 RMB per year;
- General Scholar Scholarship is 5,000 RMB per 6 months or 10,000 per year;
- Advanced Scholar Scholarship (including visiting scholars, similarly hereinafter) is 10,000 per 6 months or 20,000 per year.
- Busting Myths About Studying Abroad
- TOEFL Exam 2022
- 25 Scholarships in USA
- Top 10 Scholarships in Italy for International Students
- Top 10 Prestigious Scholarships for the Best Students
- 35+ International Scholarships for Development-Related Studies
- 15+ Tuition Fee Scholarships offered by Universities for International Students
- 10 Distance Learning Scholarships & Tuition
- Top 10 International Scholarships for Women
- 10+ Scholarships in Australia for International Students
- Top 50 International Scholarship Programs Offered Annually
- Top 10 Science, Engineering, Technology Scholarships for Foreign Students
- Top 15 Bachelor’s Degree Scholarships for International Students
- Top 10 International Scholarships for African Students
- ICSP Scholarships at University of Oregon USA
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships
- MBA: Admission, Courses, Colleges, Fees
- Simmons University Kotzen Scholarships 2023
- USA Scholarships 2023-2024
- Fulbright Scholarship 2023
- Stanford University Scholarships 2023
- Yale University Scholarships 2022
- Performance and Elite Sport Scholarships 2023