MBA is one of the most popular post-graduate courses in India and abroad. The full form of MBA is Master of Business Administration. For most of the managerial level jobs across domains and sectors an MBA degree is a necessity which is why, nowadays a large number of BTech, BBA, BCom, BA, BSc, BCA graduates opt for MBA in post graduation.
MBA admission is based on MBA entrance exams followed by a personality assessment test round (Group Discussion or GD, Written Ability Test or WAT and Personal Interview or PI). Typically, students are required to have more than 50 per cent in their undergraduate degree from any stream in order to pursue an MBA course. The most popular MBA entrance exams are CAT, GMAT, XAT among others. IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow, FMS Delhi, XLRI and ISB are some of the top MBA colleges in India which take admission via these exams followed by individual GD-PI rounds. The MBA fee generally ranges between INR 10-25 lakh depending on college to college, however there are certain very popular top colleges where the course fee is much lower than INR 10 lakh like FMS Delhi, JBIMS Mumbai among others.
You May also like:
- IELTS Registration (How to Book a Test)
- IELTS Exam Dates FAQ
- How to Choose IELTS Test Dates
- How to Send IELTS Scores to Colleges
- CAT 2022 Examination
- Introduction to Mini GMAT
- GMAT prep tips: Integrated Reasoning section
- GMAT prep tips: Verbal section
- GMAT prep tips: Quantitative section
- GMAT prep tips: Analytical Writing Assessment
- How to select the best coaching center for GMAT
- How to send GMAT scores to B-Schools
- GMAT Score Report 2022
- GMAT Online Exam
- Best Business Schools in the World
- GMAT 2022 Exam
- GMAT 2022 Exam
- GRE Syllabus 2022
- GRE Exam 2022
- PTE Exam Registration 2022
What is MBA?
The MBA course is an academic programme oriented towards management and marketing. It includes subjects such as Organisational Behaviour, Marketing, Principles of Management, Supply Chain Management, Operations Management, etc. Top recruiters for MBA are Amazon, Apple, Bain & Company, Citigroup, Deloitte, Facebook, Accenture, etc. The roles on offer for MBA graduates are generally of middle management levels such as Finance Manager, Product Manger, Strategy Manager, HR Manager, etc. On completing the MBA degree, students can get jobs with salary ranging between INR 8 lakh to INR 30 lakh per annum.
MBA Course Overview
MBA is a two-year degree course which can be pursued only after completing graduation. Given below is the table indicating key highlights of MBA course:
|MBA Full Form||Master of Business Administration|
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Types of MBA||Full-Time MBA, Part-Time MBA, Distance MBA, Online MBA, Executive MBA and Integrated MBA|
|MBA Course Fee||INR 2 lakh to 27 lakh and above|
|MBA Admission Process||Entrance Exam+ Group Discussion+ Personal Interview|
|Top MBA Entrance Exams||CAT, MAT, XAT, CMAT, NMAT, ATMA, IIFT, IBSAT|
|Top MBA Colleges||There are 5000+ colleges in India offering Full-Time MBA. Most popular colleges include IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow, FMS Delhi, SPJIMR Mumbai, XLRI, IIM Indore, IIM Kozhikode among others|
|Top MBA Specialisations||Sales, Marketing, Operations, Finance, Human Resources, Digital Marketing and Business Analytics|
|Average Salary post MBA||INR 5 lakh to 25 lakh per annum|
|Top Recruiters post MBA||Boston Consulting Group, Mckinsey, Bain & Co, Morgan Stanley, Citibank, JP Morgan Chase, Amazon, Facebook, Google, Adobe, etc.|
MBA Course: Key Highlights
- MBA is a popular course because students from any background – Science, Commerce and Humanities – can pursue it.A regular MBA is a two-year course divided into four or six semesters. However, there are certain private institutes that offer one-year PGDM programmes as well.
- One can pursue MBA in various modes, such as, Full-Time, Part-Time, Online and Distance-Education. Interested candidates can also find programmes customised based on their professional experience such as Executive MBA
- Many management institutes offer or Post-Graduation Diploma in Management (PGDM), Post-Graduate Diploma (PGD) or Post-Graduate Programme (PGP) in Management instead of an MBA degree. There is not much difference between the two, but for the recognition.
- The full-time MBA is the most popular among all the education modes. Full-time MBA includes theory classes, practical projects, student exchange programmes, summer internships and final placements.
- Fresh graduates as well as candidates with a few years of work experience opt for a full-time MBA. Some colleges prefer fresh graduates while some colleges give higher preference to candidates with a few years of work experience.
- On the other hand, the Executive MBA is fit for candidates with 5 plus years work experience as it is designed to enhance their managerial and leadership skills to stay relevant in the job market.
- Online MBA, Part Time MBA and Distance MBA programmes are ideal for candidates who wish to study while working.
Why Do MBA?
The simplest answer to this question is – to fast track your career. Given the fact that we are inhabiting a world where there is a cut-throat competition in business world and job market, one needs to be equipped with managerial skills and leadership qualities to be able to contribute to the organisation in more than one way. If you are an expert in a field, knowing how to manage a business will be an added advantage. MBA degree is the key assistant in setting up own business or in switching career. Listed below are a few advantages of MBA degree:
- Better Career Opportunities
- Higher Salary
- Developing Industry Network
- Develop Management Skills
- Develop Leadership Qualities
- Global Exposure of Business and Economy
- Entrepreneurial Skill Development
What are the Types of MBA Courses?
MBA course is available in various modes and formats. Traditionally, Full-Time MBA of two years duration has been the popular choice among management aspirants, however over the last few years, Executive MBA and Online MBA have gained immense popularity among aspirants owning to flexibility. Read below some key highlights of each type of MBA:
- Full-Time MBA: Full-Time is the regular MBA programme of two years duration. It is a residential programme which includes physical classes, live projects, semester wise assessment, summer internship and final placements. There are about 5000 Full Time MBA colleges in India. Tuition fee ranges between INR 2 lakh to INR 25 lakh on an average.
- Part-Time MBA: Part-Time MBA course is not a residential programme and best suited for working professionals who wish to learn key managerial skills. In Part-Time MBA programmes, there is no campus placement or internship opportunities. Both private colleges and government universities offer part Time MBA courses. There are about 300 Part-Time MBA colleges in India. Course fee ranges between INR 1 lakh to 10 lakh. Read All About Part Time MBA
- Distance MBA: In Distance MBA the candidate pursues the programme via remote communication and correspondence. The course is designed for people having limited time and resources as it is cheap and flexible. There is flexibility of completing the course in two to five year. There are over 490 Distance MBA colleges in India. The most popular being IGNOU. Read All About Distance MBA
- Online MBA: This is currently the most popular mode of MBA programme owing to convenience and flexibility. In Online MBA, lectures are imparted through video conferencing and the notes, tests, assessments are shared in Learning Management System (LMS). There are no physical classes in Online MBA, thus one can pursue a course in one city while living in another. There is also no boundation of attending classes, as the lectures are recorded and saved in the LMS. There are about 170 Online MBA colleges in India which are mostly private institutions. Read All About Online MBA
- Executive MBA: This programme is exclusively designed for working professionals with more than five years of work experience. The curriculum is similar to Full-Time MBA but it is of a shorter duration (15 to 19 months). Executive MBA programmes are expensive and some companies sponsorship facility to candidates. There are about 440 Executive MBA Colleges in India. Read All About Executive MBA
- 5 year-Integrated MBA: This is a five-year dual degree course which includes UG and PG degree. Integrated MBA degree can be pursued after class 12. So, candidates who choose management as their choice of career early on can opt for Integrated MBA which is a BBA+MBA or BTech+MBA programme. The Integrated MBA programme is offered by top institutes such as IIM Rohtak, IIM Indore, IIM Ranchi, IIM Jammu, IIM Bodhgaya, NMIMS, Xavier University and Nirma University among others. Read All About Integrated MBA
To pursue MBA abroad, candidates have to take a slightly different route from the traditional one. They have to appear for Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) and language proficiency tests Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for MBA abroad admission. Academic qualification for MBA abroad is same as that of domestic programmes, i.e. 50 per cent aggregate in graduation or equivalent from a recognised university. Work experience of three to five years is required for most of the MBA courses abroad.
Pursuing MBA abroad is a costly. Total expense of the course can go up to INR 80 lakh to 1 crore. Most popular countries for MBA abroad are UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Germany and New Zealand.
Know all about MBA abroad and GMAT
MBA Eligibility Criteria
Full-time MBA eligibility criteria are as follows:
- The basic eligibility criteria for MBA (full-time) is graduation in any discipline or equivalent from a recognised university
- Most of the institutes follow the minimum score criteria in Graduation which is 50 per cent in average or equivalent
- For Reserved category students, the minimum score is 45 per cent in aggregate
- Final-year graduation candidates are also eligible to apply for MBA, provided they present the proof of completion of Graduation degree within the duration specified by the institute
- Professionals with CA/CS/ICWAI and other degrees can also pursue MBA
MBA Skill SetA manager is expected to lead a team of professionals hence the most important skills for a successful manager are good communication and leadership qualities. Take a look at some of the skills required for MBA/PGDM, below:
|Full-time MBA: Required SKILL SET|
|Business acumen||Good communication skills|
|Problem-solving Skills||Management skills|
|Strong mathematical skills||Research oriented|
|Analytical thinking||Leadership qualities|
|Eye for detail||Goal-oriented & ability to work under pressure|
Admissions to all B-schools typically take place through an entrance test. The test can be one of the following types:
- National-Level Test conducted by an apex testing body or a top national B-school on behalf of the other participating colleges. Eg: CAT, MAT, CMAT or ATMA
- State-Level Test conducted by a state level testing body or a top state B-school on behalf of the other participating colleges in that state. Eg: MAH-CET, OJEE, KMAT, TANCET or APICET
- Institute-Level Test conducted for admission to its own MBA programme. In some cases, these scores can be accepted as a qualifying criteria by other B-schools as well. Eg: XAT, NMAT, SNAP, IBSAT
- Test conducted by a university for admission to MBA programmes being offered by colleges that are affiliated to it. Eg: KIITEE, LUMET, HPU MAT
|MBA Admissions 2022||Top 20 MBA Entrance Exams||Top MBA Specialisations|
The qualifying exam is followed by a second level screening round that usually includes WAT-GD-PI conducted by the college. Final selection is based on the candidate’s overall achievements in academics, entrance test and WAT-GD-PI.
What are Top MBA Entrance Exams?
MBA admission to Tier 1 and 2 B-Schools is based on the entrance exam score. Given below is the list of top MBA exams that are valid for admission to various B-schools and their application deadlines for the upcoming academic session:
|MBA Exam Name||Application Status||Application Link|
|CAT||Starts in August||CAT application form|
|CMAT||Over||CMAT application form|
|SNAP||Starts in August||SNAP application form|
|IIFT||Starts in September||IIFT application form|
|XAT||Starts in August||XAT application form|
|MAT||Underway||MAT application form|
|NMAT||Starts in July||NMAT application form|
|ATMA||Underway||ATMA application form|
MBA Admission 2022: Application Deadline
MBA aspirants having relevant entrance test score can apply for admission to b-schools for the current academic session. Some for the popular private B-schools are accepting candidates for their MBA/PGDM courses. Given below is the table indicating application status of some of the popular MBA colleges in India.
|MBA College||Exam Score Accepted||Application status MBA/PGDM 2022 batch|
|International Management Institute, Kolkata||CAT, XAT, GMAT||Open|
|International Management Institute, Bhubaneswar||CAT, XAT, GMAT||Open|
|IMT Ghaziabad||CAT, XAT, GMAT, CMAT||Closed|
|FMS Delhi University||CAT, XAT||Closed|
|SPJIMR Mumbai||CAT, GMAT||Open|
|IIFT Delhi||IIFT Entrance Exam||Closed|
|XLRI, Jamshedpur||XAT, GMAT||Closed|
|Great Lakes Institute of Management||CAT, XAT, CMAT||Open|
|Symbiosis International University (Deemed)||SNAP||Closed|
|MDI Gurgaon||CAT, GMAT||Open|
|Vijay Patil School of Management||CAT, XAT, GMAT, GRE||Open|
|Dr DY Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune||CAT, MAT, XAT, CMAT, ATMA, AIET||Open|
|KIIT SOM||CAT, XAT, MAT, CMAT, ATMA, GMAT, KIITEE MBA||Open|
|Alliance School of Business, Alliance University||CAT, XAT, GMAT, NMAT, SNAP, KMAT, MAT, CMAT, IBSAT, ALLIANCE-AMAT||Open|
|Crescent School of Business||CAT, XAT, CMAT, ATMA, MAT, GMAT, TANCET and CSBAT||Open|
|Asia-Pacific Institute of Management||CAT, MAT, XAT, CMAT, GMAT||Open|
|Birla Institute of Management Technology, Noida||CAT, GMAT||Closed|
|JK Business School||CAT, MAT, CMAT||Open|
|ITM Business School||CAT, MAT, XAT, CMAT, GMAT, MAH-CET||Open|
|Prin. L. N. Welingkar Institute Of Management||CAT, XAT, CMAT, GMAT, ATMA||Open|
|Thiagarajar School of Management||CAT, XAT, CMAT, MAT, GMAT, ATMA||Open|
|Jaipuria Institute of Management||CAT, XAT, MAT, CMAT, ATMA||Open|
|Fortune Institute of International Business||CAT, XAT, CMAT, GMAT, MAT||Open|
|EMPI Business School||CAT, XAT, CMAT, MAT, ATMA||Open|
|Lloyd Business School Noida||CAT, XAT, CMAT, MAT, GMAT||Open|
|FLAME University||CAT, XAT, MAT, CMAT, MAH-CET, GMAT||Open|
|IPE Hyderabad||CAT, XAT, CMAT, GMAT, ATMA, MAT||Open|
|Indian School of Business (ISB)||GMAT, GRE||Open|
|IFMR – Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR GSB), Sri City||CAT, XAT, CMAT, GMAT, GRE||Open|
View Top MBA Colleges by Exam
CAT and CMAT are the two biggest MBA entrance exams in India in terms of acceptance. Scores of these two exams are accepted by over 1000 B-schools across India. MAT and ATMA exam scores are accepted by over 600 B-Schools across India. Check the table below for top MBA colleges by entrance exam:
What is the MBA Syllabus?
Students pursuing MBA course are exposed to a range of subjects. In a two year MBA programme, students begin with core syllabus such as Organisational Behaviour, Marketing, Principles of Management, to name a few. In the second year, they are exposed to subjects such as Entrepreneurship and Business Law, among others. MBA colleges classify these subjects as core and electives and give a chance to students to choose between the elective subjects. Listed below are some of the subjects in MBA course:
- HR management
- Business planning
- Finance management
- Principles of management
- Business laws
- Communication skills
- Business Communication
- Computer Application
- Organizational behavior
- Retail management
- Project work
- Business environment
MBA Syllabus Semester-Wise
The regular MBA course is divided into four to six semesters across two years. Listed below are the semester-wise MBA subjects:
|MBA Syllabus Semester I|
|Organizational Behaviour||Marketing Management|
|Quantitative Methods||Human Resource Management|
|Managerial Economics||Business Communication|
|Financial Accounting||Information Technology Management|
|MBA Syllabus Semester II|
|Organization Effectiveness and Change||Management Accounting|
|Management Science||Operation Management|
|Economic Environment of Business||Marketing Research|
|Financial Management||Management of Information System|
|MBA Syllabus Semester III|
|Business Ethics & Corporate Social Responsibility||Strategic Analysis|
|Legal Environment of Business||Elective Course|
|MBA Syllabus Semester IV|
|Project Study||International Business Environment|
|Strategic Management||Elective Course|
What are the Top Specialisations in MBA?
|List of MBA specialisations|
|Finance||Agriculture & Food Business|
|International Business||NGO Management|
|Sales||Oil & Gas|
|Energy & Environment||Project Management|
|Import & Export||Sports Management|
|IT & Systems||Telecom|
|Business Analytics||Textile Management|
|Healthcare & Hospital||Transport & Logistics|
|Business Economics||Public Policy|
What are the Top MBA Colleges in India?
There are about 5,000 MBA colleges in India. One can choose an MBA college of their choice basis their interest in a particular MBA specialisation, location, fees, infrastructure, placements and marks scored in an entrance exam. Most of the top ranked and Tier-1 MBA colleges are tough to get into, as their selection criteria are very stringent. They choose the best from the best, so one needs to really work hard in clearing CAT or GMAT with good scores.
On the other hand, getting into a Tier-2 or Tier-3 MBA college is easier. Their admission cut offs are not as high as that of the creme colleges such as the IIMs, XLRI, MDI, SPJIMR, FMS, IMT, etc. In the below section, check out top MBA colleges by location and entrance exams:
View Top MBA Colleges by Location
Pune and Bangalore are considered the hub of MBA education but Kolkata, Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Delhi also boasts of some of the top ranked B-Schools. Check the tables below for top MBA colleges by location.
What are top MBA colleges in Mumbai?
Given below is the list of top 10 MBA colleges in Mumbai. For full list, click here.
What are top MBA Colleges in Delhi?
Given below is the list of top 10 MBA colleges in Delhi. For full list, click here.
What are top MBA colleges in Bangalore?
Given below is the list of top 10 MBA colleges in Bangalore. For full list, click here.
What are top MBA colleges in Pune?
Given below is the list of top 10 MBA colleges in Pune. For full list, click here.
What are Top MBA colleges in Chennai?
Given below is the list of top 10 MBA colleges in Chennai For full list, click here.
What are top MBA colleges in Kolkata?
Given below is the list of top 10 MBA colleges in Kolkata. For full list, click here.
What are Top MBA colleges in Hyderabad?
Given below is the list of top 10 MBA colleges in Hyderabad. For full list, click here.
What are top MBA colleges in Ahmedabad?
Given below is the list of top 10 MBA colleges in Ahmedabad. For full list, click here.
Check CAT Cut offs and predict calls from IIMs and other Top MBA Colleges, whether your CAT score is 70 percentile, 80 percentile or 90 percentile. Check Fees, Placement Reviews, Admission, Shortlist Criteria and eligibility of all MBA Colleges by clicking the link below:
MBA Career Scope: Jobs Roles and Salary
An MBA degree holder gets jobs which include team lead and managerial responsibility of the department. A manager’s job profile broadly includes planning, strategising, execution, leading the team, liaison with clients, coordinating with other departments, delegation of work and responsibilities, reporting to higher authorities regarding projects undertaken. Given below are some of the popular job options after MBA and their corresponding salaries:
|MBA jobs||Average salary (INR)|
|Finance Manager||9.6 LPA|
|Marketing Manager||10 LPA|
|Sales Manager||10 LPA|
|Human Resources Manager||4 LPA|
|Operations Manager||7 LPA|
|Product Manager||15 LPA|
|Data Analytics Manager||14 LPA|
|Digital Marketing Manager||4.5 LPA|
|Advertising Sales Manager||8.5 LPA|
|NGO Manager||5 LPA|
|Project Manager||13 LPA|
|Telecom Manager||7 LPA|
|Transport & Logistics Manager||6 LPA|
|Infrastructure Manager||11 LPA|
|International Business Manager||9 LPA|
|Risk Manager||10 LPA|
|Energy & Environment Manager||6 LPA|
|Import & Export Manager||6 LPA|
|IT & Systems Manager||7 LPA|
|Healthcare & Hospital Manager||4 LPA|
|Materials Manager||6 LPA|
|Retail Manager||5 LPA|
|Supply Chain Manager||8 LPA|
|Public Policy Manager||7 LPA|
*The salary data has been obtained from Payscale.com
Top MBA Colleges in India for Placements
Listed below are top 30 MBA colleges in India as per MHRD-NIRF rankings 2021. Also, mentioned are the average CTC offered made during latest campus placements.
|MBA Institute||MHRD-NIRF Ranking 2021||Average CTC 2021 (INR)|
|IIM Ahmedabad||1||26.12 LPA|
|IIM Bangalore||2||26.18 LPA|
|IIM Calcutta||3||29.00 LPA|
|IIM Kozhikode||4||22.50 LPA|
|IIT Delhi-DMS||5||22.69 LPA|
|IIM Indore||6||23.60 LPA|
|IIM Lucknow||7||26.00 LPA|
|XLRI Jamshedpur||8||25.08 LPA|
|IIT Kharagpur-VGSOM||9||18.44 LPA|
|IIT Bombay-SJMSOM||10||21.96 LPA|
|MDI Gurgaon||11||22.05 LPA|
|NITIE Mumbai||12||20.88 LPA|
|IIT Madras-DOMS||13||14.38 LPA|
|IIT Roorkee-DOMS||14||10.58 LPA|
|IIM Raipur||15||15.20 LPA|
|IIT Kanpur||16||12.77 LPA|
|IIM Trichy||17||14.85 LPA|
|IIM Udaipur||18||13.19 LPA|
|SPJIMR Mumbai||19||15.11 LPA|
|SIBM Pune||20||19.56 LPA|
|IIM Ranchi||21||14.69 LPA|
|SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies||22||18.33 LPA|
|IIM Shillong||23||19.17 LPA|
|GLIM Chennai||24||11.00 LPA|
|IIFT Delhi||25||Rs 21.08 LPA|
|IMI Delhi||26||12.77 LPA|
|ICFAI Hyderabad||27||7.00 LPA|
|IIM Rohtak||28||13.74 LPA|
|Amity University||29||Rs 5 LPA|
|IIT-ISM Dhanbad||30||14 LPA|
Scope of MBA: Top Companies and Recruiters
The scope of MBA is huge in the current job market. MBA graduates are in high demand in every industry and in every domain. Most of the MBA institutes provide campus placement to their students on completion of the full-time MBA course for a smooth beginning of their career.
All organisations, big or small, private or government, hire MBA degree holders in various capacities. Below is the list of some of the top companies that hire MBA graduates through campus placements:
|MBA Scope: Top Companies|
|HDFC||Larsen & Tubro|
|JP Morgan Chase & Co.||HSBC|
|McKinsey & Company||Nestle|
|Aditya Birla Group||Cipla|
|Asian Paints||McKinsey & Company|
- Busting Myths About Studying Abroad
- TOEFL Exam 2022
- 25 Scholarships in USA
- Top 10 Scholarships in Italy for International Students
- Top 10 Prestigious Scholarships for the Best Students
- 35+ International Scholarships for Development-Related Studies
- 15+ Tuition Fee Scholarships offered by Universities for International Students
- 10 Distance Learning Scholarships & Tuition
- Top 10 International Scholarships for Women
- 10+ Scholarships in Australia for International Students
- Top 50 International Scholarship Programs Offered Annually
- Top 10 Science, Engineering, Technology Scholarships for Foreign Students
- Top 15 Bachelor’s Degree Scholarships for International Students
- Top 10 International Scholarships for African Students
- ICSP Scholarships at University of Oregon USA
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships