The scheme is a tripartite programme involving the students, the universities and the employers of labour. It is funded by the Federal Government and jointly coordinated by the Industrial Training Fund (ITF) and the National Universities Commission (NUC).
- To provide an avenue for students in the Nigerian universities to acquire industrial skills and experience during their course of study;
- To prepare students for the work situation they are likely to meet after graduation;
- To expose the students to work methods and techniques in handling equipment and machinery that may not be available in their universities;
- To allow the transition phase from school to the world of working environment easier and facilitate students’ contact for later job placements;
- To provide students with an opportunity to apply their theoretical knowledge in real work situation thereby bridging the gap between theory and practice.
In this article, I will explain in detail how to write the National Open University Of Nigeria IT/SIWES Report.
WHAT IS SIWES?
HOW TO WRITE NOUN IT/SIWESS REPORT
- Name of Student (Surname first)
- Matriculation Number
- Course and Year (e.g. Bus. Edu. 3)
- Location & Firm of Training
- Summary or Abstracts of report (about ¾ – 1 page) it should be containing all the essentials inside the report)
- Introduction:- Here, the student should state what he/she is going to write about. He should briefly outline the organizational structure for the company.
MAIN BODY OF THE REPORT
This is the most important part of the report and the student must show own innovations. The plan and order sequence should include mainly:
- The skills and practices the student required
- The operation and maintenance training received
- The specific work done must be given adequate coverage
- Any design, calculations, and analysis must be carefully but briefly recorded.
- Supervision and any leadership role played in a given project or assignment (if any) must be briefly reported so as to leave no one in doubt as to student’s actual involvement.
- Sketches, diagrams, graphs, and drawings (if any) must all have titles and designated as Fig. 1, 2 etc. and each must be referred to at least once in the report.
- Experimental test, together with the tables of results must also be given adequate coverage. Each table should be given a title in a sequential order as Table 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc. with related titles and must be referred to at least once in the text.
Here, the student should state again what he has achieved, contributed and learned during this attachment.
All those who have in any way helped the student to the success of his training may be noted in this section.
A list of references may be necessary. It should be listed in the order the references are referred to in the report and also listed alphabetically.
APPENDICES (IF ANY)
A detailed description of the working principles of most apparatus, equipment or devices may be reserved for the appendix section. Only in exceptional cases when the apparatus is the main focus of training should a detailed description form part of the main report. DURATION OF ATTACHMENT FOR SIWES FUNDING
The minimum duration for SIWES should normally be 24 weeks (6 months) at a stretch. The period is longer for engineering and technology programmes. The ITF will not pay for any attachment period that is less than 24 weeks.
In most institutions, SIWES is done at the end of the 2nd-semester examination of either 300, 400 or 500 levels. The time and duration will have to be worked out jointly by each school and the directorate and the ITF.
COMPULSORY REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION
- Master List
- Placement List
- Summary Sheet
All students accepted for SIWES must be given an orientation on SIWES by their institutions during which ITF staff must be in attendance
SUPERVISION OF STUDENTS
Students on attachment are to be supervised by the professional ITF staff and the institution’s supervisors (comprising the staff of Schools and the Directorate).
- List Of NOUN IT/SIWES Courses
- How to Pay for Logbook
- Siwes Programme for Noun Students
- Step By Step on How to Submit Your Siwes Online
- Information about NOUN IT/Siwes
- Facts About Siwes
- How To Write IT/SIWES Report – NOUN