ENTRY REQUIREMENT FOR PROGRAMMES IN THE FACULTY OF AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
The Faculty of Agricultural Sciences at its 7th Faculty Board Meeting held on 18th January 2019 reviewed its admission requirements in line with NUC benchmark and recommended the following:
- The Faculty should commence admission at 100 level in addition to the direct entry (200 level) currently in practice.
- National Certificate of Education (NCE) with credit passes in any one of the options listed below may be admitted into 200 level of the programme:
i. Agricultural Science
iii. Integrated Science/Chemistry
iv. Home Economics and related science based courses
- HND with lower credit pass in Agriculture or Science related programmes with credit passes in requisite subjects at O’ Level (indicated in table below) with 2 years cognate experience may be admitted into 300 levels and may be required to take relevant courses at 200 level.
- Holders of ND, NCE, HND, Bachelor Degree and PGD in the following related areas of study may be admitted to study B. Agriculture and Post-graduate Diploma programmes of the Faculty provided they possess the minimum entry requirements for B. Agriculture programmes. These areas are;
- Integrated Science/Chemistry
- Home Economics
- Food Nutrition and Dietetics
- Environmental studies
- Agric Engineering
- Post-Harvest Technology
- Forestry &Wild life
- Aqua culture, Marine study
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Cooperative Study
- Agric. Education
In respect of above, the Faculty is recommending the under listed criteria as new admission requirements for the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences.
To be admitted into the 5-year B. Agriculture, or B. Aquaculture and Fisheries Management degree programmes. Candidates must have:
5 Credits in WASC/GCE/NECO/NABTECH subjects including English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and any one of the following: Physics, Geography or Economics, at least a pass in Physics.
Direct Entry (200 Level)
- Two “A” Level passes in the relevant subjects. (Chemistry and one of Botany/Zoology/Biology/Physics/Agric. Sciences, Geography, Maths, Geology, Economics and Health Sciences)
- ND with a minimum of upper credit plus 5 credits in WASC/GCE/NECO subjects including English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and any one of the following: Physics, Geography or Economics, and at least a pass in Physics is required for admission into 200level.
- NCE with credit passes in any one of the options below may be admitted into 200 level of the programme: Agricultural Science, Biology/Chemistry, Integrated Science/Chemistry, Home Economics and related science based courses.
- HND with lower credit pass in Agriculture or related programmes, and credit passes in requisite subjects at O’ Level with 2 years relevant experience may be admitted into 300 levels and may be required to take relevant courses at 200 level.
These are the Programmes (COURSES) available for Undergraduate
|Click on a Programm|
|B.Agric Animal Science|
|B.Agric Agricultural Extension and Rural Development|
|B.Agric Agricultural Economics and Agro-Business|
|B.Agric Crop Science|
|B.Agric Soil and Land Resources Management|
These are the Programmes (COURSES) available for Postgraduate
|PGD. Agricultural Extension Management|
- Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, National Open University of Nigeria, NOUN
- Faculty of Arts, National Open University of Nigeria, NOUN
- Faculty of Science, National Open University of Nigeria, NOUN
- Faculty of Education, National Open University of Nigeria, NOUN
- Faculty of Management Sciences, National Open University of Nigeria, NOUN
- Faculty of Health Sciences, National Open University of Nigeria, NOUN
- Faculty of Social Sciences, National Open University of Nigeria, NOUN
- How To Check NOUN Required Credit Unit for Graduation
- Noun Official Websites
- What You Should Know About National Open University Of Nigeria
- PGD Agricultural Extension and Management
- Candidates seeking admission for PGD Agricultural Extension and Management must possess a Bachelor’s degree with at least 3rd class division. Candidates with Pass Degree and minimum of 3 years cognate experience in related fields may be accepted.
- HND holders with Lower Credit in Agricultural Sciences or related disciplines may be admitted. Holders of Bachelor degree in Basic Science, Biological/Earth Sciences and Agricultural Sciences from universities recognized by NOUN may be admitted.
The related science based courses are as follows:
Biology/Chemistry, Integrated Science/Chemistry, Home Economics, Food Nutrition and Dietetics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Environmental studies, Agric Engineering, Post-Harvest Technology, Economics/Mathematics, Forestry &Wild life, Aquaculture, Marine study, Hospitality and Tourism, Cooperative Study, Economics and Agric. Education.
To graduate, a student shall have undergone 4 or 5 years of study depending on his entry point, including 12 calendar months of Farm Practical Year (FPY/SIWES). The activities of the farm practical year should include periodic seminars on the student’s work as a way of stimulating interest as well as the presentation of a written report to be graded at the end of the year.
Course workload must meet the graduation requirements of the university. However, in doing so, the student must earn a minimum of 167 credit units for the five-year programme and 132 credit units for the four-year (direct entry) programme in agriculture and related fields as indicated under course requirements.
The submission of an undergraduate project report based on supervised research is a graduation requirement, which must not be compromised. This requirement exposes the student to problem-solving techniques and provides him with the ability to organize ideas from literature and research findings. In short, it prepares the student for the work ahead and for further training at the post-graduate level. This area of academic preparation needs to be maintained and developed further.
Checkout Course Outline for Each of the Programmes:
- Agric. (Agricultural Economics and Agro Business Option)
- Agric. (Agricultural Extension and Rural Development Option)
- Agric. (Animal Science Option)
- Agric. (Aquaculture and Fisheries Management Option)
- Agric. (Crop Production and Protection Sciences Option)
- Agric. (Soil and Land Resources Management Option)
- B.Sc Agricultural Extension and Management
- B.Sc. Hotel and Catering Management
- PGD Agricultural Extension and Management