NOUN Faculty of Social Sciences
INTRODUCTION to Faculty of Social Sciences
The NOUN Faculty of Social Sciences was curved out from the former School of Arts and Social sciences in 2016. This is in accordance with the new paradigm shift from the school unit system to the faculty and departmental system
The Faculty’s Mission is to ‘’be highly committed to Academic excellence in the production of human capital for the sustainable development of a knowledge based economy’’
The Faculty currently comprises of 7 departments programme and 5 post graduate programmes
Listed below are some of the Activities of the Faculty
Academic seminars are constantly held where some papers are presented for positive criticism to make them better.
- PUBLIC LECTURE:
Public lectures holds at certain interval or when the need arises.
- CONFERENCES AND WORK SHOPS
The Faculty recently hosted a 1- day in house training for Non-Teaching Staff of the Faculties titled ‘’Administrative practises in NOUN’’ on the 5th July, 2021. Other workshops and conferences such as ICOSS are held from time-time.
The Faculty of Social Sciences at the end of every year convocates its students
- ACADEMIC BOARD MEETING
Faculty Academic board and Faculty Management Board meetings as well as Departmental meetings are held to deliberate on issues affecting student’s affairs and other academic problems from time-time.
- APPPOINTMENTS AND AWARD
The Faculty annually gives awards to the Best staff of either the Faculty or Department. The Committee of Deans Award is chaired by Professor and also some members of staff can be appointed to hold key positions at the Faculty e.g. Faculty Exam Officer & Admission Officer etc.
- SETTING OF EXAMINATION QUESTIONS
The Faculty gives mandate for the Departments to set exams questions, these questions are also moderated and kept in the question bank for future use.
- CONFERENCE MARKING
The Faculty is involved in the Conference Marking Exercise at the end of semester. Marking coordinators and subject officers are appointed for proper monitoring and at the end of the exercise reports are submitted to the Faculty and the DEA
- ATTENDING UNIVERSITY EXAMINATION COMMITTTEE
The faculty attends UEC meeting to address current Examination challenges
- FACULTY APPRAISAL AND PROMOTION COMMITTEE
This Committee is charged with the responsibility of promoting Academic Staff of the Faculty. Academic Staff are assessed before their publications can be taken to central A&PC
- FACULTY LIBRARY: SERVICES RENDERED
- Shelf reading on daily basis
- Reference services
- Recommended items or Information Material
- Regulate borrowing of Books.
FACULTY MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM(MIS)
The Faculty has a Staff deployed by the DMIS who provides technical support. Below are the Services rendered.
- Providing Technical Support for TMA upload
- Providing Faculty Record records to MIS e.g. Registrable Courses, course allocation and Admission requirements.
- Helps identify reporting requirements of Faculty for onward transmission to the DMIS
- liaises with DMIS to provide relevant information to Faculty.
- Provides Technical support to the staff of the Faculty e.g. Installing and configuration of internet printers, minor repairs and installation of some software (micro soft offices)
- Resolves student’s issues regarding NOUMIS portal as well as the faculty.
CONCLUSION: Above are the activities that are being carried out at the NOUN Faculty of Social Sciences.
- Procedure for Change of Course Open University, NOUN
- How To Check NOUN Required Credit Unit for Graduation
- List of Programmes Offered in NOUN
- Noun Business Plan (Gst302) And How To Upload
- How to Upload Completed Final Year Project/Seminar and Practicum on (NOUN PAS)
- Noun Official Websites