OWSD PhD Fellowships 2023
Pursue your education in developing country in the Global South. Good news! Applications for OWSD PhD Fellowships are currently open. In this article, we will explain in detail about this fellowship program, its benefits and step by step application process.
OWSD PhD Fellowship 2023-2024 is offered to women scientists from science- and technology-lagging countries (STLCs) to undertake PhD research in the natural, engineering and information technology sciences. This fellowship covers a monthly allowance, visa expenses and annual medical insurance contribution.
The specific aims of the fellowship programme are:
- To improve access to educational and training opportunities in science and technology for young and talented women graduates from STLCs.
- To increase the scientific productivity and creativity of women scientists in STLCs.
- To empower a new generation of talented women to assume a leadership role in science and technology.
- To encourage women scientists to contribute to the sustainable development of their home countries.
- To enable women scientist from the South to collaborate and network on a regional and international level.
Candidates can choose between two study schemes:
- A full-time fellowship (maximum 4 years funding), where the research is undertaken entirely at a host institute in another developing country in the South.
- A sandwich fellowship, where the candidate must be a registered Ph.D. student in her home country and undertakes part of her studies at a host institute in another developing country.
The sandwich fellowship is awarded for a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 3 research visits at the host institute. The minimum duration of the first visit is 6 months. The total number of months spent at the host institute cannot exceed 20 months. The funding period cannot exceed 4 years.
OWSD particularly encourages candidates to consider the sandwich option, which allows them to earn the Ph.D. in their home country while accessing specialist researchers and equipment abroad, at the host institute.
- Level of Study: PhD
- Institution(s): Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
- Study in: Developing Countries
- Program Period:
– A full-time fellowship (maximum 4 years funding)
– A sandwich fellowship The total number of months spent at the host institute cannot exceed 20 months.
- Deadline: April 15, 2022
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
OWSD PhD Fellowship support is only provided while the student is on site, at the host institute.
The OWSD fellowship covers:
- A monthly allowance to cover basic living expenses such as accommodation and meals while in the host country
- A special allowance to attend international conferences during the period of the fellowship
- A return ticket from the home country to the host institute for the agreed research period
- Visa expenses
- Annual medical insurance contribution
- The opportunity to attend regional science communications workshops, on a competitive basis
- Study fees (including tuition and registration fees) in agreement with the chosen host institute which is also expected to contribute
The OWSD fellowship does not cover:
- Bench fees and consumables
- Support for language training, either before or during the fellowship programme
- Support for shipment of research samples
- Costs for personal computer or software purchase
- Support for family members
- Additional return tickets to the home country for personal reasons
You May also like:
- IELTS Registration (How to Book a Test)
- IELTS Exam Dates FAQ
- How to Choose IELTS Test Dates
- How to Send IELTS Scores to Colleges
- CAT 2022 Examination
- Introduction to Mini GMAT
- GMAT prep tips: Integrated Reasoning section
- GMAT prep tips: Verbal section
- GMAT prep tips: Quantitative section
- GMAT prep tips: Analytical Writing Assessment
- How to select the best coaching center for GMAT
- How to send GMAT scores to B-Schools
- GMAT Score Report 2022
- GMAT Online Exam
- Best Business Schools in the World
- GMAT 2022 Exam
- GMAT 2022 Exam
- GRE Syllabus 2022
- GRE Exam 2022
- PTE Exam Registration 2022
- ACT 2022 Exam
Eligibility Criteria for OWSD PhD Fellowships
To be eligible for OWSD PhD Fellowships, applicant must fulfill the following criteria:
- Required Languages: English
- Eligible Countries: The list of eligible countries is also available here.
- The minimum qualification is an MSc degree in one of the above listed study fields.
- Host institutes must be located in a developing country in the South (not the candidate’s home country).
- Candidates must confirm that they intend to return to their home country as soon as possible after completion of the fellowship
How to Apply for OWSD PhD Fellowships?
Please follow the following instructions to apply for this fellowship:
(1) Start an application form at the online portal.
- Ph.D. research proposal outline.
- Degree certificates and transcripts.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Preliminary acceptance letter from at least one host institution.
- Letter of commitment from the host university.
- 2 Reference letters.
- Candidates must submit a scanned copy of the passport page, which contains personal details (photo, document number etc.).
- Candidates applying for a SANDWICH study scheme must, in addition, submit also the following documents:
- Registration and No objection certificate.
- Supporting statement from home supervisor.
- Busting Myths About Studying Abroad
- TOEFL Exam 2022
- 25 Scholarships in USA
- Top 10 Scholarships in Italy for International Students
- Top 10 Prestigious Scholarships for the Best Students
- 35+ International Scholarships for Development-Related Studies
- 15+ Tuition Fee Scholarships offered by Universities for International Students
- 10 Distance Learning Scholarships & Tuition
- Top 10 International Scholarships for Women
- 10+ Scholarships in Australia for International Students
- Top 50 International Scholarship Programs Offered Annually
- Top 10 Science, Engineering, Technology Scholarships for Foreign Students
- Top 15 Bachelor’s Degree Scholarships for International Students
- Top 10 International Scholarships for African Students
- ICSP Scholarships at University of Oregon USA
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships
- MBA: Admission, Courses, Colleges, Fees
- Simmons University Kotzen Scholarships 2023
- USA Scholarships 2023-2024
- Fulbright Scholarship 2023
- Stanford University Scholarships 2023
- Yale University Scholarships 2022
- Performance and Elite Sport Scholarships 2023